Friday, June 20, 2008

Pizza A Metro

We met up w/ D. for dinner tonight at Pizza A Metro. I've been reading a bunch of great things about this place so I was dying to try it.

The restaurant is just to the east of I-17, on the north side of Thomas Rd. I had read a few comments that this place was hard to spot...and even though we were both looking for it, we drove right past it! (just look for the Circle K). As we were parking, we noticed a bunch of people waiting outside. We ended up waiting around 25 minutes for a table. The place is really tiny inside - only around 5 or 6 tables.

We ordered:
  • Calamari Fritte (fried calamari - $7.95)
  • Gnocchi w/ vodka sauce ($8.95)
  • Saporita - tomato, cheese, sausage, broccoli (regular size - $13.95)
  • Frescolina Fresh - tomato, cheese, prosciutto , and arugula (regular size - $14.95)
Sorry - didn't have my camera with me so no pictures...

Before our order arrived, the owner brought us a complimentary platter of flatbread and caponata. Both were fantastic - the onions were so sweet.

The calamari came next and was served with a marinara dipping sauce. The calamari was slightly overcooked, although it was still very good. The breading was nice.

Next up was the gnocchi. This was incredible! The texture of the homemade gnocchi was so smooth and the vodka sauce was really tasty.

The pizzas were both excellent. The crust was great, the sauce was full of flavor, and all of the toppings were of high quality. I would put PAM in the same artisinal category as LGO, Cibo, Pizzeria Bianco, and Settebello (in Salt Lake City). I'd say they definitely have some of the best pizza in the city. Really good stuff...

I really wanted to try the tiramisu, but we were all too stuffed to eat any more...so i'll have to try it next time!

The only complaint we had was that it was a bit warm inside.

Pizza A Metro rocks! We'll definitely be back!


Places mentioned:

Pizza A Metro
2336 W. Thomas Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85015

1 comment:

Yankee1969 said...

We stopped in for lunch today. Winedubar on CH has been telling us how awesome this place is for months.
Tara had the gnocchi with vodka sauce and I had the panino with sausage and rapini. She loved the gnocchi. I wasn't expecting mine to be a calzone, but it was still great. Huge portions, but somehow I ate all mine.
I loved the complimentary flat bread. It was addictive. I think it as my favorite part of the meal.