Sunday, June 22, 2008

A Packed Weekend

We had the busiest weekend ever...lots of food involved so it was a good kind of "busy".

Friday night we had dinner at Pizza A Metro (my posting about the visit). Great stuff, highly recommended.

Saturday afternoon, I had my monthly volunteering event (for Washington Street Foundation). We went to see Valley Youth Theatre's production of Cinderella at the Herberger Theater. It was a pretty good show (much better than sitting/suffering through A Winnie the Pooh Christmas Tail a few months ago =)

After the volunteer event, I met up with Patty at a going away party for one of her co-workers. We only stayed for a little while before rushing off to meet my some of my co-workers for dinner.

This past weekend was the grand opening of The Dhaba. The owners of the restaurant are Thunderbird alumni, so we were there to show our support. The food was great (we all shared the food so I'm not really sure what we ordered). They had a few belly dancers on hand for the festivities. Here are a few pictures:
The Dhaba - exteriorThe Dhaba - menu coverThe Dhaba - mango lassiThe Dhaba - belly dancers performing
Sunday morning, we met up with some more T-Bird friends for dim sum at Great Wall. Great Wall has pretty reliable dim sum and it's the only decent place in the West Valley. We enjoyed a ton of food...

After lunch, we headed to Tempe to see My Fair Lady at ASU's Gammage Auditorium.

The show was good, though it a bit too long (a total running time of around 3 hours). I was kind of disappointed that the understudy (Dana Delisa) was performing the role of Eliza Doolittle. I had read a few great reviews of Lisa O'Hare's performance of Eliza. Doh! Delisa's performance seemed pretty average for me. That's what we get for seeing a Sunday matinee...oh well. I thought Tim Jerome (Arthur Doolittle) and Justin Bohon (Freddy Eynsford-Hill) gave fantastic performances. I do have to admit that both Patty and I did end up falling asleep during parts of the show...we must have been tired from eating too much for lunch! Overall, it was good, although it was a bit of a let down (on par w/ Rent). I thought it was going to be a fantastic show (like Phantom, Les Mis, Miss Saigon, and Oliver).

Time for some rest!!!


Places mentioned:

Pizza A Metro
2336 W. Thomas Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85015

The Dhaba
1872 E Apache Blvd.
Tempe, AZ 85281

Great Wall
3446 W. Camelback Rd.
Phoenix, AZ 85017

No comments: