Saturday, June 21, 2008

Insanely HOT

The official (reported) high today was 115 degrees.

Here's a pic from my car display (taken @ ~4:30pm):
taken on June 21, 2008 @ ~4:30pm
Do you see that??? 119 degrees!!! It was actually reading 120 right before I snapped the picture.

I spent the afternoon in downtown Phoenix (for my monthly volunteering event). Downtown Phoenix is pretty much one giant cement heat island. Actually, the whole valley is a massive heat island. It's just worse in downtown Phoenix. As I was walking to and from my car, I experienced the most intense heat I have ever experienced in my life (and I've already been through 10 summers here). It was seriously uncomfortable...like when you open the door of a hot oven and the heat hits your body. I really don't see how light rail is going to work in this city. The shade structures that they have built at the stops seem like they provide minimal coverage.

Terrible...it's only the second day of summer...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss the heat.. but i don't envy u.... :p

nice and cool in Cleveland.. we are at high 70s today...

Tara said...

Yes. Insane. Unbearable. Yuck.

Agnes said...

YES! It's been crazy hot lately! It doesn't bother me unless I'm outdoors and Saturday I really felt the heat!

Poor said...

I am glad that I am not there during the summers anymore. It's only 65 here in the NW. Note to self: Don't go back to visit AZ during the summer. :)