Sunday, August 12, 2007

Weekend recap

Saturday we met up with some friends for dim sum @ China King (in Chandler). It had been a long time since we'd gone for dim so we were both excited. This was also our first time going to China King. As we were being seated I saw Trung and Rose...wow - another couple to add to the "on-deck" list (October '08). Congratulations guys!

The dim sum was good - probably the best in Phoenix right now. Good, solid food but not the best dim sum I've had. The service was good and the prices were very reasonable - about $10 per person. I'll give it a 7 (out of 10).




After dim sum we went to Boba Tea House for some boba. Same drinks as last week - jasmine green tea w/ boba and red bean slush (this time w/ boba). Linda and Al were also there and had ordered popcorn chicken. Tasty stuff...very similar to the salty fried chicken you can get on the streets in Taiwan (though it had a bit of a sweet taste and needed a bit more pepper).



After snacking, we went to visit Khoa and Mai and their new baby, Mina Saomai...what a cutie!

For dinner we went to Pita Jungle (Tempe location), one of my favorites. I've been going to the Tempe and Chandler locations for years, ever since I moved to Chandler in 1997. We ordered a small order of hummus ($3.60) and the Putanesca Chicken ($9.95). I've ordered both before and knew this would be more than enough for the two of us to share. The hummus (served w/ pita bread) was great - not too oily and it had the perfect texture. Next came the Putanesca Chicken. I'm not sure how Pita Jungle prepares their chicken but it is the best chicken EVER. It's always very flavorful and moist. The dish was great - marinated grilled chicken on top of linguini pasta, garlic, capers, tomatoes, and plenty of herbs. The service at Pita Jungle can be a bit erratic but there were no problems on this night. Pita Jungle gets an 8 (out of 10).




Sunday morning we tried making pancakes for the first time (I've made with pancake mix before but never from scratch). I found a recipe online (for basic pancakes) and decided to try it out. The pancakes turned out a bit dense...here they are (when you see the shape, please don't laugh!):



In the background, you can also see the ham omelette that I made (I guess it's actually more of a frittata). Anybody have any great pancake recipes to share???

After lunch, we went to see The Bourne Ultimatum. What a great movie - probably the best of the series. It's non-stop action. Jason Bourne (aka David Webb) is indestructible - he survives an explosion from close range, a few car accidents, multiple fights, etc. Maybe just a tiny bit unrealistic but I loved it. I'll give it 8 (out of 10).

That's all for now...thanks for reading!

1 comment:

satoshi said...

I have been getting to know the difference of Chinese food since I came to Taiwan. I really think Taiwan food is delicious,,,,but not so good for my health though,,,,I need more exercise this year.