Friday, August 17, 2007

El Paso Bar-B-Que

I've been craving barbeque ribs for the longest time. I love ribs...the problem is that I haven't found any really great barbeque places in the area. I've tried: El Paso, Famous Dave's, Honey Bear's, Thee Pitt's, and Big City.

For dinner we decided to go to El Paso Bar-B-Que (Goodyear location). I've been to El Paso many times before and it has always been pretty decent, but it's been about a year since I've been to one. This was our first visit to this particular location. We ordered a full rack of baby back ribs (20.99) and a strawberry lemonade (2.95). The ribs came w/ two sides - we opted for the creamy corn and sweet potato fries (haven't tried either of these before).

The strawberry lemonade was pretty good though a bit too sweet.

While we were waiting for our ribs, the server brought us jalapeno cornbread. I thought the cornbread was pretty tasty - nice and moist with a bit of spice.

Our ribs came and we took a few bites. They were really dry, almost like a jerky, and lukewarm. When our server came back to check on us, we told her about the ribs she took them back and replaced them with a new rack. The new rack was better, piping hot and moist, but the ribs still weren't "fall-off-the-bone" tender.

The sides were not so good. The creamy corn was like eating a soup made of sweetened milk and corn. The sweet potato fries didn't really taste like sweet potatoes. I'm guessing they were a frozen pre-fried product. Nothing like the killer fries at Delux. Next time, I'll stick w/ the steak fries and cowboy beans.

The food just wasn't as good as I remembered. The search continues...

I give it a 5 (out of 10).

No comments: