Monday, May 26, 2008

Depressed

We're so depressed to be home again...haha...

What I hate about Phoenix:

1. You rarely see people walking around.

It's too hot in the summer time and even when it's nice out, besides the outdoor malls, there aren't any cool areas or neighborhoods to walk around (the population here is high but the density is too low). Seattle is full of neat little neighborhoods for people to explore.

When I was in Salt Lake City a few months ago, on the day I was leaving, it was 40 degrees and snowing outside. While I was on my way to the airport (about a four mile drive), I saw more people walking around than I saw after I returned to Phoenix and drove home. My drive home from the airport was around 25 miles and the weather that day was clear and 75 degrees. Beautiful weather, but no people out on the streets. Sad...

2. It's dominated by chain restaurants and "big-box" retailers.

During the entire weekend in the Seattle/Bellevue area, I only saw one chain restaurant (Cheesecake Factory). I didn't see a single Lowe's/Home Depot/Wal-Mart/Old Navy/Target/etc. I know they are in area...they just aren't on every single corner.

It was so refreshing to see local stores, restaurants, and people out on the streets!

I'll post a full trip update soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best place to see people walking around, and not see any big box retailers or chain restaurants (except for the Subway) is downtown Glendale. If you haven't tried it lately, come on down. The area reminds me very much of Seattle. Except for one glaring difference. In Seattle there is one little burrow after another. Downtown Glendale is unique around the Phoenix metro area.

At least we have one pedestrian area!

- Maureen